Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant. It is used to treat depression. It belongs to the group of drugs known as tri-cyclic antidepressants. It works by controlling the levels of chemicals in the brain.
Common and Rare Side Effects of amitriptyline
Some of the side effects of taking amitriptyline are:
• It may cause dry mouth. This condition makes swallowing difficult.
• Constipation may be caused as one of the amitriptyline side effects depression.
• It may also cause pain in the stomach.
• It may cause drowsiness.
• Headache may also be caused as amitriptyline side effects depression.
• It increases the desire of eating. Increased eating may lead to an increased weight.
• It may also cause sleeplessness.
• Nausea may also be caused as one of the amitriptyline side effects depression.
• An individual taking this medicine may have to pass urine frequently in small amounts. Moreover, urination becomes difficult.
• Palpitations may be caused in an individual taking this medicine.
• It may cause increased sweating.
• Vomiting may also occur.
• Anxiety may also be caused.
• The muscles may become stiff.
This medicine should be taken according to the prescribed dose. An overdose may prove dangerous. Symptoms of overdose are seizures, hallucinations, fever, palpitation and confusion.
An individual who has been prescribed this medicine should tell the doctor if he has suffered from liver disease, heart diseases, kidney diseases, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, schizophrenia or glaucoma.
The doctor should be informed about the other medicines the individual, whom the medicine is prescribed, is taking. Moreover, if the person whom this medicine is prescribed is allergic to any medicine then also the doctor should be informed about it.
One should not suddenly stop taking this medicine. One should stop taking it only after talking to the doctor and taking his advice. Stopping the use of it may produce withdrawal symptoms like headache, nausea, drowsiness and restlessness.
Hence, if any serious side effects are seen in an individual taking amitriptyline, then it should not be neglected. The doctor should be consulted. If an individual takes overdose then the doctor must be informed without making any delay.