Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant. It belongs to the class of tricyclic antidepressants. If the dog is frightened by noise then amitriptyline can be used to treat it. It is also used to treat separation anxiety in dogs. It works by controlling the level of some chemicals of the brain.
If the dog is a patient of diabetes, asthma, seizure disorders, thyroid, heart diseases, liver diseases, eye problems or kidney disease then the veterinarian should be informed about it. The veterinarian should be informed if the dog is pregnant or lactating before the medicine is given. Moreover, if your dog is receiving any other medication along with it then veterinarian should be informed as amitriptyline may interact with it.
Some of the Amitriptyline side effects in Dogs are:
1) Drowsiness can be caused.
2) It may lead to decreased saliva secretion in the mouth leading to dryness of mouth.
3) It can decrease the desire of eating as a side effect which may lead to weight loss.
4) Constipation can also be caused as one of the amitriptyline side effects dogs.
5) Muscle may become weaker and stiffer.
6) Seizures may also be caused as a side effect.
7) Dogs may face problems of urine retention. Dogs suffering urine retention will find it difficult to pass urine and urinate frequently in small amount.
8) Nausea and headache can be caused.
9) The heart-beat rate may also increase as a side effect.
This medication should be given according to the dose prescribed by the veterinarian. Overdose of this drug can cause serious side effects. It may lead to feeling drowsy, behavioral changes involving agitated behavior and hallucinations. Allergic reactions including difficulty of breathing and hives may also be caused.
Take special care and observe whether your dog is suffering from any serious side effects. If any serious side effect is observed in your dog after taking this medication then the veterinarian must be consulted without making any delay. The dog should be under regular check up. Regular check up will ensure that any abnormalities will be found out on time so that necessary action can be taken to treat it.