Amitriptyline is an anti-depressant used to provide relief from depression. It is also used to treat bed-wetting in children. It controls the levels of chemicals in the brain to cure depression. It belongs to the class of medicines known as tricyclic antidepressant.
However, it has several side effects.
Some of the amitriptyline side effects in men are:
1) Dryness of mouth can be caused. Dry mouth makes swallowing difficult.
2) Increased desire of eating is one of the amitriptyline side effects in men. It may lead to gaining of weight.
3) Headache may also be caused as one of the amitriptyline side effects in men.
4) The individual taking it may feel drowsy.
5) Panic attacks can occur in extreme cases.
6) Feelings of confusion may be caused in an individual as a side effect.
7) Some behavioral changes may be caused like the individual taking amitriptyline may show agitation in behavior.
8) It may also cause impotence in men as a side effect.
9) An individual taking it may feel very tired without actually doing any tiring work.
10) Anxiety may be caused in the individuals taking it.
11) Stiffness of muscle may also be caused.
12) Hallucinations may also be caused.
Inform your doctor before taking this medication, if you suffer from liver diseases, heart diseases, kidney disease, diabetes, glaucoma or schizophrenia. Tell your doctor about all the medicines you are taking. Moreover, you should inform your doctor if you are allergic to any medication.
An overdose of amitriptyline can cause extreme damage. The doctor should be consulted to get necessary help. It may lead to drowsiness, Moreover, an overdose may even cause fainting. In extreme cases seizures may be caused.
If an individual taking amitriptyline suddenly stops taking it, then that individual will face withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms are headaches, feeling restless, behavioral changes including agitated behavior, increased perspiration, feeling drowsy and changes in heartbeat rate.
However, the side effects of a medicine may not be the same for each and every person. One should be under regular check up so that any abnormalities are detected on time and necessary action can be taken to provide a cure. If any serious side effects are found out in an individual then the doctor must be consulted without making any delay. You should consult your doctor if you find that the depression worsens or if you have thoughts of suicide coming to your mind.