Atenolol is used to treat hypertension and angina. It belongs to the class of drugs which is known as beta-blockers. It is also used to treat supraventricular tachycardia and ventricular tachycardia. Beta-blockers work by blocking the adrenaline and slowing down the heart-beat rate and reducing the stress on the heart.
However, it has some side effects.
Common side effects of Atenolol in Women
• The hands and feet may feel cold.
• Confusion may be caused.
• Light headedness may be caused.
• Diarrhea may be caused as a side effect.
• One may get dreams.
• Nausea may be caused as one of the atenolol side effects in women.
• Depression may be caused.
• A decrease in desire of eating may occur.
• Pain in the stomach may occur as one of the atenolol side effects in women.
• An individual may feel weak.
• Sore throat is one of the atenolol side effects in women.
• There may be swelling of ankles and feet.
• Anxiety may be caused.
• When a pregnant woman takes it, this medicine may harm the fetus. Moreover, the growth of the baby may also be affected.
• It is excreted in breast milk. Hence, a mother who takes it will pass the medicine to the baby who is breast-feeding.
Take the medicine according to the dose prescribed by the doctor. An overdose may prove dangerous. An overdose may produce symptoms like, difficulty in breathing, drowsiness, low heartbeat, nervousness, anxiety, weakness and fainting. If you take an overdose then you should take medical advice.
Inform your doctor if you have an allergy to any medication. You should inform the doctor, if you have diabetes, asthma, kidney disease, liver disease, bronchitis, low heart beat rate or heart block. You should also inform the doctor if you suffer from disorders like, myasthenia gravis which is a neuromuscular disorder or Reynaud’s disorder which is a blood circulation disorder.
If you notice any serious side-effect then the doctor should be informed. However, do not stop taking it without consulting the doctor. In addition to taking medicines, it is very important to lead a healthy lifestyle. Eat healthy food and avoid food rich in fats. Practice physical exercises regularly. Try to stay stress-free.