However, it has many side effects.
Some of the side effects of clonidine hydrochloride are:
• Dizziness may be caused as one of the clonidine hydrochloride side effects.
• It may cause drowsiness in an individual taking it.
• Dry mouth may be caused as the saliva secretion decreases. Swallowing becomes difficult
• Headache may be caused as one of the clonidine hydrochloride side effects.
• Constipation may be caused.
• An individual may feel weak.
• Tiredness may be caused in an individual taking it.
• Depression may be caused.
• The eyes may become dry and there may be a burning sensation in the eyes.
• A decrease in desire of eating may be caused.
• Nausea may be caused.
• Nervousness may be caused in an individual taking it.
• Vomiting may also be caused.
• Sleepiness may be caused.
• One may feel restless.
• One may find it difficult to fall asleep.
• One may show agitation in behavior.
• Allergic reactions may be caused which includes hive, swelling of lips, tongue, throat or face.
If you stop taking it suddenly, then you may experience withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms include symptoms like, nervousness, agitated behavior, headache, increased blood pressure, vomiting and tremors. If you take an overdose then you may notice some serious symptoms like, you may feel extremely tired, you may feel drowsy and you may also feel cold as the body temperature may drop.
You should inform the doctor if you suffer from diseases like, heart diseases, kidney disorders, liver diseases or blood circulation disorder.
As clonidine hydrochloride may cause drowsiness as a side effect so, it is advisable not to do any such activity that requires concentration and alertness like, driving a car or operating any machinery. Do not stop taking it without consulting the doctor. The doctor’s advice should be taken if you take an overdose or if you notice any serious side effects after taking it.