Before your child starts taking this medicine, inform the doctor if your child has any kidney, liver, heart or blood circulation disorder. You should inform the doctor if your child is allergic to any medicine. You should also tell the doctor about all the medicines your child is taking along with clonidine.
However, clonidine may cause some side effects.
Some of the side effects caused by clonidine in children with ADHD are:
1) Constipation can be caused as one of the clonidine side effects in children with adhd.
2) Your child may feel sleepy during the daytime.
3) Dry mouth may be caused which makes swallowing difficult. Dry mouth is caused due to decreased saliva secretion.
4) Dizziness is also one of the clonidine side effects in children with adhd.
5) The child may suffer from headache.
6) The child may feel very tired.
7) The child may show a decline in desire of eating.
8) Rashes and Urticaria may be caused in the child as an allergic reaction. There may be swelling of the tongue, lips, throat or face. Moreover, the child may face trouble in breathing.
9) The child taking it may also experience pain in the abdomen as a side effect.
10) Nausea may be caused in the child.
11) Vomiting may also be caused as a side effect.
If you notice that your child has developed an allergic reaction to it or if you find out that your children has been given an overdose, then consult the doctor. Do not stop giving your child this medicine without asking the doctor. Stopping the use of this medicine abruptly may produce withdrawal symptoms. Some of the withdrawal symptoms caused are, agitation in behavior, anxiety, pain in the chest, trembling of hands, difficulty in falling asleep, restlessness, nausea, vomiting and headache. A sudden increase in blood pressure may also occur if its use is stopped suddenly.