However, an individual taking it may experience certain side effects.
Some of the side effects caused by Clonidine in Children are as follows:
1) Lightheadedness can be caused as one of the clonidine side effects in children.
2) Dry mouth may be caused. A child may face difficulty in swallowing.
3) Constipation may be caused.
4) There may be dryness of eyes caused as a side effect.
5) Sleepiness can be caused.
6) Headache is also one of the clonidine side effects in children.
7) Blurred vision may be caused.
8) Fatigue may be caused.
9) Rashes and Urticaria may be caused as an allergic reaction to it. There may be swelling of face, lips, tongue or throat. Moreover, the child may also face difficulty in breathing.
10) Tremor may be caused.
11) There may be pain in the abdomen.
12) There may be a decrease in the desire of eating.
13) The child taking it may have nightmares as a side effect.
Ensure that your child eats food rich in fiber and make him drink plenty of fluids to minimize the constipating effects of this medicine.
If your child faces any serious side effects or any allergic reaction after taking clonidine, then you should seek medical advice. If you give an overdose to your child then consult your doctor. Do not stop giving it to your child without asking the doctor, as stopping it suddenly may produce withdrawal symptoms. Some of the withdrawal symptoms caused are, agitation in behavior, anxiety, pain in the chest, trembling of hands, difficulty in falling asleep, restlessness, nausea, vomiting and headache. A sudden increase in blood pressure may also occur after stopping its use abruptly.
If your child has any kidney, liver, heart or blood circulation disorder then the doctor should be informed about it. You should inform the doctor if your child is allergic to any medicine. You should also tell the doctor about all the medicines your child is taking along with clonidine.