Clonidine belongs to the group of drugs known as antihypertensive. It is used to control high blood pressure. It works by dilating the blood vessels thus, reducing the pressure with which the blood flows. Besides, treating high blood pressure, it also treats Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), hot flashes caused due to menopausal symptoms, Tourette syndrome and migraine headache. It is also used to control the withdrawal symptoms associated with stopping the use of alcohol and nicotine. It is available in the form of tablets, extended-release tablets, patches, extended-release oral suspension and injections.
It causes many side effects.
Some of the side effects of Clonidine in Men are as follows:
1) Constipation may be caused.
2) Nausea is one of the clonidine side effects in men.
3) An individual may feel drowsy as a side effect of taking it. Hence, one should be very careful while doing activities that require focus and alertness like, driving or operating machinery. Hence, you should avoid doing such activities if you feel drowsy.
4) The eyes may become dry. Moreover, there may be a burning sensation and itching in the eyes.
5) Dry mouth is caused as the saliva secretion decreases.
6) There is a decline in interest of eating as one of the clonidine side effects in men.
7) Dizziness may be caused.
8) Moreover, there may be vomiting also.
9) An individual taking it may feel weak and tired.
10) There may be swelling of the feet and lower legs.
11) Pain in the abdomen can be caused.
12) It may also cause impotence in men.
13) Blurred vision is caused.
14) Tremors can be caused.
15) Allergic reaction like, rashes and hives may be caused.
16) Joint pain may be caused.
Tell the doctor if you suffer from any kidney diseases, heart disease, blood vessel disease, heart rhythm disorders or Reynaud’s disease. Inform the doctor if you recently had a heart attack or stroke. If you take any other medicine then give the list of all the medicines you take. If you suffer from depression then inform the doctor as clonidine may worsen depression.