Clonidine belongs to the class of medicines known as antihypertensive. It causes the dilation of the blood vessels thus, reducing the pressure with which the blood flows. It is used not only for controlling high blood pressure but also for providing a preventive treatment of migraine headache, providing relief from certain types of pain and treating anxiety. It is also used to treat Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Stopping the use of alcohol and smoking produce some withdrawal symptoms, it can be used to control such withdrawal symptoms.
However, it may cause some side effects.
Some of the side effects of Clonidine 0.1 mg are as follows:
1) An individual taking it may face constipation.
2) Dizziness may be caused in an individual taking it.
3) An individual may feel drowsy. Hence, one should be very careful while doing activities that require focus and alertness. Hence, you should avoid doing activities like, driving or operating machinery, if you feel drowsy.
4) The eyes may become dry. Moreover, a burning sensation and itching in the eyes can be caused.
5) There is dryness of the mouth as the saliva secretion decreases.
6) There is a decline in interest of eating as one of the side effects of clonidine 0.1 mg.
7) Nausea may be caused.
8) Moreover, there may be vomiting also.
9) An individual taking it may feel weak and tired.
10) There may be swelling of the feet and lower legs.
11) Pain in the abdomen can be caused as one of the side effects of clonidine 0.1 mg.
12) It may also cause impotence in men.
13) Blurred vision is caused.
14) Tremors can be caused.
15) Allergic reaction like, rashes and hives may be caused.
16) Joint pain may be caused.
17) One may have nightmares as a side effect of taking it.
The medicine should not be stopped abruptly. Stopping its use may produce withdrawal symptoms like, anxiety, agitated behavior, pain in the chest, trembling of hands, difficulty in falling asleep, nausea, vomiting and headache.
You should tell the doctor if you suffer from any kidney diseases, heart disease, blood vessel disease, heart rhythm disorders or Reynaud’s disease. You should also inform the doctor if you recently had a heart attack or stroke. If you take any other medicine then give the list of all medicine you take.