Clonidine hcl is used to treat hypertension and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It belongs to the class of drugs known as antihypertensive. It lowers the blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels.
It causes many side effects.
Some of the side effects of Clonidine hcl are as follows:
1) An individual taking it may face constipation.
2) Dizziness may be caused in an individual.
3) An individual may feel drowsy. Hence, one should be very careful while doing activities that require focus and alertness. Hence, you should avoid doing such activities if you feel drowsy.
4) The eyes may become dry. Moreover, there may be a burning sensation and itching in the eyes.
5) The mouth becomes dry as the saliva secretion decreases.
6) There is a loss of interest in eating.
7) Nausea may be caused. Moreover, there may be vomiting also.
8) An individual taking it may feel weak.
9) There may be swelling of the feet and lower legs.
10) Pain in the abdomen can also be caused as one of the side effects of clonidine hcl.
11) It may also cause impotence in men as a side effect.
12) Blurred vision may be caused as one of the side effects of clonidine hcl. Hence, one may face difficulty in seeing the fine details.
13) Tremors can be caused.
14) Rashes and hives may be caused as allergic reaction to it.
15) Depression may worsen in an individual taking clonidine, who is suffering from depression.
16) It may cause pain in the joints.
17) One may have nightmares as a side effect.
The medicine should not be stopped suddenly without asking the doctor. Stopping its use suddenly may produce withdrawal symptoms like, anxiety, agitated behavior, pain in the chest, a sudden increase in blood pressure, difficulty in falling asleep, nausea, vomiting and headache. Tell the doctor if you suffer from kidney disease, heart disease, blood vessel disease, heart rhythm disorders or Reynaud’s disease. You should also inform the doctor if you recently had a heart attack or stroke. If you take any other medicine then give the list of all medicines you take.