Cephalexin is a medicine that is used to treat bacterial infections. It is used to treat respiratory infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections and bone infections which are caused by bacteria.
However, it causes many side effects.
Yeast infection and cephalexin
Thrush is caused by a fungus which is known as Candida albicans. Cephalexin has yeast infection as a side effect. An antibiotic in addition to destroying the bacteria which is causing disease may also destroy the healthy bacteria in the body. The healthy bacteria maintain a balance of yeast in the body. If these healthy bacteria are killed then this balance is disturbed. A disturbance of balance leads to the excessive growth of yeast which may cause thrush. Thrush is painful and uncomfortable. Vaginitis which is a yeast infection can be caused as a side effect of cephalexin. It is caused due to the unnatural growth of yeast. It causes vaginal itching and discharge. It is very discomforting and irritating. It becomes difficult to urinate.
The other side effects caused are:
• Nausea, vomiting and headache are also caused as side effects.
• Diarrhea can be caused. Watery stools are passed frequently which increases the risk of dehydration.
• Stomach pain may be caused.
• Pain in the joints can be caused.
• An individual may show agitated behavior.
• Confusion may be caused.
• An individual may also suffer from fever as a side effect.
• Allergic reaction like Urticaria, Stevens Johnsons syndrome and angiodema may be caused as an allergic reaction to this medicine
You should inform the doctor if you suffer from kidney disease, stomach problems or intestinal problems before taking this medicine. You should also inform the doctor if you are allergic to any medicine. Moreover, you should also inform the doctor if you are taking any other medicine along with it.
Taking an overdose of it may produce symptoms like, nausea, vomiting, pain in the abdomen, presence of blood in the urine and diarrhea.
Cephalexin should be taken strictly according to the prescribed dose. Moreover, it should be taken only if it is prescribed by a doctor. If any serious side effects are seen then the doctor should be consulted. If yeast infection is caused as a side effect of taking cephalexin then the doctor should be consulted.