Clonidine hcl belongs to the class of medicines known as antihypertensive. It works on the alpha receptors of the brain. This medicine works by dilating the blood vessels thus, reducing the blood pressure.
Clonidine hcl tablets are also available in 0.2 mg and 0.3 mg dosage strength. Clonidine hcl 0.1 mg is generally prescribed for hypertension as an initial dose. It is also prescribed to be taken twice daily for treating anxiety and to control the withdrawal symptoms of stopping the use of alcohol and smoking. It is also prescribed for preventive treatment of migraine.
It may produce the following side effects:
Some of the Side Effects of Clonidine hcl 0.1 mg are as follows:
1) Drowsiness is one of the side effects of clonidine hcl 0.1 mg.
2) It may cause dizziness in an individual taking it. Dizziness refers to a reeling sensation produced.
3) An individual taking it may face constipation.
4) There may be dryness of mouth as the saliva secretion decreases.
5) A decrease in desire of eating may be caused.
6) The eyes may become dry. Moreover, a burning sensation and itching may be caused in the eyes.
7) Nausea may be caused as one of the side effects of clonidine hcl 0.1 mg.
8) Vomiting may be caused.
9) An individual taking it may feel weak and tired.
10) Pain in the abdomen can be caused.
11) There may be swelling of the feet and lower legs.
12) It may also cause impotence in men.
13) It may cause blurred vision as a side effect.
14) Tremors can be caused.
15) Allergic reaction like, rashes and Urticaria may be caused.
16) It may also cause pain in the joints.
The medicine should not be stopped abruptly. Stopping its use may produce several withdrawal symptoms. It should be stopped only after consulting the doctor. Moreover, take the medicine according to the dose prescribed by the doctor. If you take an overdose then you should take medical advice immediately.
You should tell the doctor if you suffer from any kidney diseases, heart disease, blood vessel disease, heart rhythm disorders or Reynaud’s disease. Inform the doctor if you take any other medicine along with it as it may interact with other medicines.